When it comes to crafting, my mission is to create something fun with minimal work (like the glitter mason jars I've made). I'm a lazy crafter, OK?! But really, who else is with me? I want a project to be easy and still look cute. Recently on a girl's weekend my friend found these adorable mug crafting kits and we had a blast decorating them. You can get the kit, which is the exact one I used, or buy a ceramic mug, paint, and a paint brush or paint pens. You will also need tape and an oven for this project. Below is a tutorial for the dotted heart design that I created.
This design is fairly easy...unless you're a little crazy like me and freak out if the dots aren't equally distributed. I have a solution for that later. Follow these steps:
- Trace the inside of the handle onto a piece of paper to create half of a heart. Cut that tracing, then fold it in half so you can complete a full heart.
- Place tiny pieces of rolled up tape on the edges of the heart and stick it on the mug.
- I used the base end of the paint brush to create the dots. Simply dip and touch the mug everywhere you want a dot. If you buy the materials as opposed to the kit, use paint pens.
- If you mess up along the way, dip a Q-tip in nail polish remover and use it as an eraser.
- Let the paint dry, remove the heart paper, and make touch ups as needed.
- Set the oven to 360°F and immediately place the mug inside for 30 minutes.
Once the mug has cooled it's done. By baking it, it should be dishwasher safe so you're design will stay in tact! Also, you'll probably have leftover paint if you use the kit, so you can create several masterpieces, just buy extra ceramic mugs.
Pretty easy right? This is a fun craft for all ages and will give you a cute mug for years to come!